JOB VACANCY NOTICE
Internal / External
This is a CUPE LOCAL 50 position
DATE OF ISSUE: October 3/2019 CLOSING DATE: October 14/2019
Competition Number: P20-19
Position Title: Court Information Specialist
Number of Positions: One
Duration: Temporary full-time (up to 18 months)
Work Schedule: Monday through Sunday dayshift rotation
11 hour shifts
Pay Group: $30.89/hour (pay grade 8)
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST be received by 4:30 p.m. on the above closing date and must be complete, including all qualifications and experience relevant to this position. Please quote the competition number on your submission.
To apply please forward your submission electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Police / Information Management / Records
- Perform administrative functions related to the maintenance of criminal history records, reports to crown counsel, court documents, and submissions for criminal records.
- Perform independent police review of electronic data submissions to the Provincial Justice System for errors and failures; perform and administer corrections and follow-up information to ensure Provincial compliance is met for Report to Crown Counsel requirements; create and maintain a diary date system for Crown Counsel submissions and requests; generate electronic submissions of data from the police records management system to the provincial justice system for judicial charge approval ; liaise with court registry, crown counsel, corrections, law offices, police agencies, internal staff and probation offices regarding criminal charges and confidential matters. Create and maintain files. Deal with urgent timelines in processing court documentation for immediate court appearances.
- Responsible for verifying, confirming, entering and maintaining criminal charges dispositions on in-house computer, Provincial Police reporting systems. Calculate start and end dates for Jail sentences, Probation, Prohibitions and Conditional Sentence Orders for entry onto CPIC; select information for entry by the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) system operator and run criminal record checks as required; use Provincial Justice System for court enquiries to track charges and waived charges from the Victoria court jurisdiction.
- Enter, and verify charge information prior to forwarding fingerprint documentation to the RCMP Ottawa Records Compilation for entry onto the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) for submission onto an individual’s criminal record; enter disposition information onto exhibit documentation to generate an exhibit destruction date.
- Compose and type a variety of letters, memos and forms and forward to appropriate agencies and departments. Pick up and deliver the mail; maintain stationery inventory; review dispositions on files for purging. Update and maintain procedure manual.
- Perform related duties where qualified.
- Work is generated by reports to Crown Counsel and judicial system activities.
- Issues such as deviations from policy and established procedure are referred to supervisor.
- Sit with arms unsupported while keyboarding. (frequent)
- Work from ladders while filing. (rare)
- Short periods of intense concentration while processing court documents. frequent)
- Meet multiple deadlines. (frequent)
- Focus on a variety of source data for short periods. (frequent)
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Organize and prioritize work.
- Understand and apply the techniques of the court processing system.
- Type 60 wpm
- Working knowledge of Police Department computer systems.
- Maintain accurate records.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting.
- Operate a variety of office equipment.
- Deal effectively with the public and outside agencies.
Formal Education, Training and Occupational Certification:
- High school graduation.
- Criminology course. (1 year)
- Required to obtain security and criminal record clearance.
- Required to sign attestation of confidentiality.
- 2 years of related Police experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- May be requested to substitute in a more senior position.
Job Description: 4048